Monday, March 21

enriching eats

I feel comfortable enough with you, dear reader, to share a bit of background on myself: I was raised on cookin' a la Betty Crocker. I'm not ashamed to disclose this, as my mom was--and still is--a great cook. But I grew up in Wisconsin, land of cheese, brats, and frozen vegetables--where skipping high school study hall to get Chinese takeout (usually chicken fried rice) was a captivating ethnic dining experience.

Living in Chicago for the past 4 years, I've learned a lot in the way of culture. I'd venture to say I'm pretty deeply entrenched in the stuff. I love salsa dancing, I pour through foodie publications, I adore chutney and samosas--heck, I'm even dating an Indian guy (and his mom makes out-of-this-world samosas!).

My latest discovery (thanks to Boyfriend) is the Korean staple, bi bim bop. He stumbled across it with friends while in med school in Ann Arbor. Lately, we can't seem to get enough of the rice, meat and veggie concoction. Accompanied with a semi-spicy red sauce reminiscent of barbecue, and topped with a sunny-side up egg, it's the star at our local Wrigleyville Korean joint (Rice Box, 2940 North Broadway).

1 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I suggest University Cafe or Coffee Break as too excellent places to get bi bim bop next time you are in Ann Arbor

 

Post a Comment

<< Home