Tuesday, August 30

candyland


A coworker of mine came back from lunch today toting a bag of Atomic Fireball candies. You remember--those cinnamon-y, firey red balls of sugar that are so intense each one deserves its own individual plastic wrapping. I practically jumped out of my chair when I saw them, I was so excited. How long had it been since I'd had one? Long enough that the memory of their existence had slipped from my mind until this afternoon. Middle school. Maybe even 6th grade.

It's amazing how small things, like an old song, or in this case, candy, can immediately bring back a rush of memories. I stuck a Fireball into my mouth, and it brought me back to elementary school days:

Sitting at the back of the school bus, where all the "cool" 6th graders sat. Somebody had a tape-player going. Paula Abdul sang, "You take two steps forward, I'll take two steps back," while my friends dared each other to see how many Atomic Fireballs they could suck on at once, without being brought to tears.

In hindsight, probably not the best idea to stuff your mouth full of hard candies while in a moving vehicle... but oh, the memories. :)

4 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mom used to eat those in 2nd grade when there was penny candy in those days!!!

Love, Mom

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Red Ladyblog said...

And we both have a few cavities to show for it, don't we? :)

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Ugh...I hate them. But I'm not wild about anything cinnamon

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Run Around Paris said...

Mmm...I love them, and the little "Red Hots" too. I especially love hot, cinnamon-y scented candles during the holidays!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home